- Introduced in 2 trim lines – Tech-Line offering HTE, HTK, HTK+, HTX and HTX+ variants; and the first-in-segment GT-Line with GTX+ variant.
- Available in eight monotone and three dual-tone colour schemes
- Equipped with first-in-segment diesel six-speed automatic and the revolutionary intelligent manual transmission (iMT) for fatigue-free driving
- Exemplary fuel efficiency of 24.1 kmpl for the diesel 1.5 WGT 6MT , 19.0 kmpl for the diesel 1.5 VGT 6AT, and 18.4 for the Smartstream G1.2 5MT (under standard test conditions)
- Over 25,000 bookings garnered so far, commencement of pan-India deliveries starting today
Bengaluru, NFAPost: Kia Motors India, a wholly owned subsidiary of Kia Motors Corporation, launched its first-evercompact SUV, the all-new Kia Sonet in India.
The Sonet entry-level HTE smartstream G1.2 5MT variant debuts at a competitive price of INR 6,71,000 (ex-showroom, pan-India). The made-in-India for the world Kia Sonet is being offered with the widest variety in its category in terms of powertrains and trims.
In total, the Sonet is being offered across 17 variants, including two petrol engines, two diesel engines (WGT & VGT configurations), five transmissions and two trim levels – Tech Line and GT-Line. What’s more, the Sonet is loaded with a comprehensive list of features as standard as well as offered with the latest in in-car technology via the Kia UVO Connect.
The company also announced the receipt ofover 25,000 bookings for its new compact SUV so far. Offered first to Indian customers, the Sonet is being produced at the company’s state-of-the-art manufacturing unit at Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh with an annual production capacity of 300,000 units, which will allow Kia to smoothly cater to the increasing demand for Sonet by Indian as well as international consumers.
Commenting on the occasion, Kia Motors India MD and CEO Kookhyun Shim said given the enthusiastic reception it has already received, the company is extremely excited about introducing Kia’s latest made-in-India car for the world, the Sonet, in India.
“The aggressive pricing has been arrived at to bring delight and offer incredible value to the young and the young-at-heart customer of the Sonet. As our endeavour has been to ensure there is a Sonet for virtually all customers in this category, it is being offered with the widest choice in this segment. With its class-leading features, emotional design, exceptional quality and latest technology, the Sonet once again bring alive Kia’s commitment of ‘The Power to Surprise.’ We are sure it will revolutionize the compact SUV segment in the country,” said Kia Motors India MD and CEO Kookhyun Shim.
Kia Motors India MD and CEO Kookhyun Shim said the launch of the Sonetin India, as the company is emerging from these trying times, is the result of incredible resilience and hard work of Kia’s Indian and global teams, even during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“I would also like to acknowledge the efforts of our employees at our state-of-the-art Anantapur plant who are also hard at work to ensure uninterrupted production of the new Sonet, so that it reaches the homes of eager customers all around the country, and later, around the world. It is a testament to Kia’s commitment to developing advanced products with the technological prowess and world-class quality born out of India,” Kia Motors India MD and CEO Kookhyun Shim further added.
A perfect combination of innovation and stylish looks, the new Kia Sonet presents a dynamic stance in a confident, compact body. It incorporates Kia’sDNA of emotive styling along with a premium and youthful appeal to create a strong road presence.
One of the most anticipated car launches of 2020,the Kia Sonet is being offered in a dual trim concept of Tech Line and the first-in-segment GT-Line with multiple powertrain options to suit virtually all requirements in this segment. The GT-Line specification is for customers who want to give their Sonet a dash of sportiness and racy appeal, inside-out.
Two petrol engines – a versatile Smartstream 1.2-litre four-cylinder and a powerful 1.0 T-GDi (turbocharged petrol direct injection) – are offered along with two efficient 1.5-litre CRDi diesel engine (WGT & VGT configurations). The Sonet comes with five transmission options; this includes five- and six-speed manuals, an intuitive seven-speed DCT, six-speed automatic, and Kia’s revolutionary new six-speed Smartstream intelligent manual transmission (iMT).
The latter is a technological breakthrough from Kia, offering fatigue-free driving thanks to the absence of a clutch pedal, yet the same driver control as a conventional manual transmission. For the first time in this segment, the 1.5 CRDi diesel motor is also available with a six-speed automatic transmission.
The Kia Sonetcomes with an attractive choice of eight exquisite colours and three dual tone options that brings its powerful design language to life. The interiors of the Kia Sonet is designed to offer comfort and luxury at the same time, with a well laid-out, easy-to-use connected infotainment and cluster interface along with high-quality materials all around. Despite compact exterior dimensions, the interior of the Sonet offers ample, ergonomic space for all the passengers.
In addition to this, the Sonet comes loaded with multiple segment-first features offering complete comfort, convenience, safety and optimum driving pleasure to customers. This includes:
- Largest and best-in-segment10.25-inch (26.03 cm) HD touchscreen with navigation and live traffic information
- Smart Pure Air Purifier with virus and bacteria protection
- BOSE Premium seven-speaker sound system with sub-woofer
- Front Ventilated driver and passenger seats
- 4.2-inch (10.7 cm) colour instrument cluster
- LED Sound Mood Lights
- Remote engine start via UVO Connect and Smart Key (Automatic and Manual transmission)
- Over-the-air (OTA) map updates
- Multi-drive & traction modes for automatic models
- Wireless smartphone charger with cooling function
|Engine||Variant||All India Price (Ex Showroom Prices in Lacs)|
|Smartstream Petrol 1.2L||HTE 5MT||INR 6,71,000|
|HTK 5MT||INR 7,59,000|
|HTK+ 5MT||INR 8,45,000|
|Petrol 1.0 T-GDI||HTK+ Smartstream 6iMT||INR 9,49,000|
|HTK+ Smartstream 7DCT||INR 10,49,000|
|HTX Smartstream 6iMT||INR 9,99,000|
|HTX+ Smartstream 6iMT||INR 11,65,000|
|GTX+ Smartstream 6iMT||INR 11,99,000|
|Diesel1.5L CRDi WGT||HTE 6MT||INR 8,05,000|
|HTK 6MT||INR 8,99,000|
|HTK+ 6MT||INR 9,49,000|
|HTX 6MT||INR 9,99,000|
|HTX+ 6MT||INR 11,65,000|
|GTX+ 6MT||INR 11,99,000|
|Diesel1.5L CRDi VGT||HTK+ 6AT||INR 10,39,000|
To offer a safe, hassle-free experience, Kia Motors India ensures a completely paperless, physical contactless end-to-end digital platform for the new car buying process. Kia pioneered this feature right at the inception of its retail business in August 2019.
The all-new Kia Sonet is testament to Kia’s focus on consumer insight-driven product innovation and orientation.It is targeted towards the young generation who are tech-savvy, aspirational and highly connected socially.
The deliveries of the Kia Sonet will begin on Saturday, and bookings will remain open and the interested customers can purchase the vehicle at any one of the company’s 265 customer touchpoints across 160 cities or can even purchase the car online by logging onto www.kia.com/in
Kia Sonet Key Features:
- Dual trim concept –Tech Line and segment-first GT Line
8 monotone colour options
- Clear White
- Glacier White Pearl
- Steel Silver
- Gravity Grey
- Intense Red
- Aurora Black Pearl
- Intelligency Blue
- Beige Gold
3 Dual-tone colour options
- Intense Red with Aurora Black Pearl
- Glacier White Pearl with Aurora Black Pearl
- Beige Goldwith Aurora Black Pearl
Inside, the Sonet offers a sophisticated and lively cabin with a smooth, flowing dashboard to appeal to young-at-heart and always-connected consumers. The stylish and clutter-free center console offers a hi-tech feel and easy access to many of the Sonet’s segment-busting features coupled with essential features such as Kia’s Smart Pure Air Purifier with virus and bacteria protection. This feature sets the Sonet apart in its segment and once again sets a new benchmark in its category.
The new Smart Pure Air Purifier with virus and bacteria protection in Sonet has a two-level purification system. The pollutant-cleansing HEPA filter incorporates N29 which uses fibre made from nano-ionic bonding technology of copper sulphide, to remove pollutants and bacteria from the cabin. The second level of filtration is achieved through UVC LED, scientifically proven to kill bacteria and viruses. The system not only effectively cleans out pollutants from the cabin, but also kills bacteria and viruses as it cleans the air.
Highlights of the interior:
- First-in-segment 10.25-inch (26.03 cm) HD touchscreen with navigation and live traffic information
- Segment best Kia’s intuitive and user friendly UVO ‘connected car’ technology with 57 smart features
- Segment first 4.2-inch (10.7 cm) instrument cluster for important information to the driver in vivid color and clarity, such as turn-by-turn navigation instructions, Highline Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and drive mode and traction mode selection
- Segment first BOSE premium seven-speaker sound system with sub-woofer to offerconcert-like ambience
- Mood enhancers such as LED Sound Mood Lights, introducing a level of personalisation unique to this segment,
- World first Kia’s Smart Pure Air Purifier with Virus and bacteria protection
- Wireless smartphone charger with cooling function
- Front Ventilated driver and passenger seats
- GT-Line trims are finished with contrast red stitching on the steering wheel, seats and door armrest, while a D-cut steering wheel adds to its sporty appeal
The youthful and energetic design of the Kia Sonet is the outcome of a collaborative effort between the Kia Design Centre in Namyang, South Korea and the design team located in India. Inspired by modern styling trends, as well as traditional Indian heritage and culture, the Sonet’s exterior styling truly stands apart – not just in its category, but amongst SUVs in general.
Highlights of exterior design:
- The reinterpreted Kia signature ‘tiger-nose’ grill flanked by ‘heartbeat’ LED DRLs and stylish front skid plates below make the wild nature of the Sonet come alive
- Classy chrome and diamond knurling pattern in the grille – a distinctive grille mesh featuring a three-dimensional geometric design inspired by India’s iconic stepwells paying respect to India’s historic strengths in sophisticated mathematics, science and architecture
- A distinctive hood and bumper with an upright stance, a strongly raked A-pillar, and a round roofline that reflects strong profile
- Additional highlights at the rear include a sporty dual muffler design and rear skid platewith diffuser fins
- Riding on sharp-looking 16-inch crystal -cut alloys in a racy design, the overall impression of the Sonet is that of a strong, powerful and sporty silhouette with a dynamic stance that is hard to miss
- With overall dimension of 3,995 mm length, width of 1,790 mm, 1,642^ mm height, 2500mm wheelbase and Bootspace of 392L, the Sonet offers spacious cabin as well as luggage space
Powertrain and performance:
In line with Kia’s motto of ‘The Power to Surprise’, the Sonet offers a surprisingly wide range of powertrain choices in its class
- Choice of four engines – Two petrol engines – a versatile Smartstream 1.2-litre four-cylinder and powerful 1.0 T-GDi – and two efficient 1.5-litreCRDi diesel (WGT & VGT)
- Five transmission options: five- and six-speed manuals, an intuitive seven-speed DCT, six-speed automatic, and Kia’s revolutionary new six-speed Smartstream intelligent manual transmission
- 1.5-litre diesel engine is offered with a six-speed manual, and, first in its segment, with a six-speed automatic transmission, an unmet need in this segment to-date
- Additionally, automatic variants of the Sonet offer Multi-Drive and Traction Modes for added convenience, driver-confidence and safety
Smartstream six-speed iMT:
The Sonet is equipped with this revolutionary gearbox, offering a balance between control and convenience. The six-speed Smartstream intelligent manual transmission will redefine the driving experience in India. The iMT is unique in the sense there is no clutch pedal, but there is a gear lever. The clutch is electronically actuated when the driver intends to change gears using the lever, re-engaging when the shift is complete. An intention sensor detects the movement of the gear lever and accordingly engages or disengages the clutch smoothly.
It sends a signal only when the gear lever has shifted further than a programmed threshold and avoids small movements like driver knocking the shift lever. Essentially, one can drive it like a manual transmission car without having to engage the clutch pedal. This system has been tested extensively on Indian roads in typical Indian driving conditions, and programmed to offer a seamless, smooth and enjoyable driving experience.
Highlights of the Smartstream six-speed iMT
- Less driver fatigue: no need to use a clutch pedal, especially in stop-go traffic
- Longer clutch life: electronically actuated, smoother engagement/ disengagement even for starters
- Smoother ride: clutch release is seamless, offering a smooth manual gear change
Fuel Efficiency: (in kmpl)
- D1.5 VGT 6AT – 19.0(Best in segment)
- D1.5 WGT 6MT – 24.1 ( Best in segment)
- G1.0T-GDi 7DCT – 18.3
- G1.0T-GDi 6iMT – 18.2 ( Best in segment)
- Smartstream G1.2 5MT – 18.4 (Best in segment)
Ride and handling:
In order to offer a bold and youthful experience, the Sonet’s driving characteristics have been tuned to provide an enjoyable experience behind the wheel for driving enthusiasts
- The suspension set-up as well as feedback from the electrically assisted power steering, have been honed to offer a sporty driving experience, providing accurate feedback to the driver
- The ride and handling has been fine-tuned by Kia engineers at the brand’s Namyang R&D centerin Korea and at the brand’s Development Centerat Anantapur, in Andhra Pradesh
- Sonet prototypes have been driven and tested for over 1,00,000 kilometres on Indian roads, and across a variety of conditions, resulting in a driving character that offers a compliant ride quality and high comfort without compromising on its sporty spirit
Kia is the first automotive brand in India to reach the milestone of having over 60,000 active ‘connected’ cars on the road due to its premium in-car technologies for Indian customers, offering the intuitive, friendly user interface that Kia’s UVO ‘connected car’ technology provides. The Sonet too is offered with Kia’s signature UVO Connect suite of technologies,with a range of 57 features for owners, free for initial 3 years, offering convenience, remote control, navigation, safety, security and vehicle management, which includes:
- Kia’s UVO Voice Assist feature, which responds to the greeting, “Hello, Kia.”
- First in Segment – Over The Air (OTA) for map updates, giving a truly connected experience.
- This artificial intelligence-powered voice-recognition technology provides an enhanced, connected experience and can be used to operate multiple features: phone calls, weather information, time and date, Indian holiday information, media control, navigation control, climate control, and even finding out the latest cricket scores, and 1st in industry driver window controls through voice command
- Super-convenient remote start/stop feature, previously only available for buyers of certain automatic Kia vehicles, will now also be available for models fitted with manual and intelligent manual transmissions of the Sonet
- UVO Smart Watch App Connectivity option, allowing users to interact with their vehicle via an Android, iOS or Tizensmartwatch
- UVO LITE feature to help control the Smart Air Purifier and infotainment system, making the Sonet’s in-car features even more easier to use
- UVO Controls on in-car rear view mirror, which directly connects user to a dedicated 24X7 Call Centre for SOS, RSA & Navigation Assistance.
Customer Safety is of utmost priority for Kia Motors globally. More than two thirds of the Sonet’s body is made up of high strength and advanced high strength steel, creating a lightweight yet robust structure. Furthermore, Kia has ensured that every drive in the Sonet is as relaxing and safe as possible thanks to an array of safety measures, created in line with Kia’s own five pillars of safety: Active, Passive, Health, Security and Maintenance. Among the Sonet’s key safety features are:
- Six airbags
- ABS (anti-lock braking system) with EBD (electronic brake force distribution)
- ESC (Electronic Stability Control), HAC (Hill-start Assist Control), VSM (Vehicle Stability Management) and BA (brake assist)
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Projector fog lamps
- Highline tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
- Auto headlamps
- ISOFIX child-seat anchoring points
- Auto Collision Notification
Kia Motors India (KMI)
In April 2017, Kia Motors signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the State Government of Andhra Pradesh, India, to build a new manufacturing facility in Anantapur District and completed and commenced the mass production in August 2019.
The manufacturing facility has an annual production capacity of approximately 300,000 units. Kia Motors India has launched two vehicles for Indian market – The Seltos and The Carnival and has made a mark in India with product and service quality and reliability.
The Seltos, establishing itself as a trusted product by brand Kia, has crossed 100,000 sales milestone in just one year of its sales period. Kia Motors is globally known to make quality vehicles which address the gaps in the automotive market and Seltos too have won many accolades in India.
Tasting initial success, third product of Kia Motors India the Sonet has secured 6523 bookings on the first day of commencement of pre-bookings. In April 2020, Kia’s two global products Telluride and Soul EV have bagged world’s most prestigious automotive awards – The World Car of the Year and The Urban Car of the Year respectively at the WCOTY 2020. Kia Motors India has the widespread network of 265 customer touchpoints, in 160 cities across Tier 1, 2 and 3 cities in India.
Kia Motors (www.kia.com) is a maker of world-class quality vehicles for the young-at-heart. Founded in 1944, Kia today sells around 3 million vehicles a year in over 190 countries, with 52,000 employees worldwide, annual revenues of over KRW 58 trillion (about US$50 billion) and manufacturing facilities in six countries.
Kia is spearheading the transition to electric vehicles and pursuing mobility services to help tackle urban challenges around the world. The company’s brand slogan – “The Power to Surprise” – represents Kia’s global commitment to surprise the world with exciting, inspiring experiences that go beyond expectations.